Pages

Monday, March 9, 2015

Great Minds Think Alike - The Cordova Jacket

It's like I have sewing intuition!

I purchased the Cordova Jacket pattern a few weeks ago when The Sewaholic was having a weekend birthday sale.  A few days after I bought the pattern, I went and picked up some fabric (see the end picture of this post for proof) for what I pictured my Cordova would look like.

Well, after my trip to the Spring Knitting and Stitching show I settled in to watch Week 5 of The Great British Sewing Bee.  They were making items out of lace and leather.  Such hard technical fabrics!

But the leather item they were making was a jacket, and well, conveniently I already had a jacket pattern, fabric, and lining all ready to go!

I was going to post a picture of the pattern drawing - but it's got my measurements written ALL over it - and well - a lady never tells ;) (or something like that).

 But as the contestants all revealed their items, someones sewn up coat looked suspiciously familiar.  As it turns out Deborah and I had the same jacket taste, as her finished jacket was made from the Cordova Pattern.

Imagine that luck.  Doing my GBSB challenge, and having the very SAME pattern that Deborah was using!

The contestants were given a total of 6 hours to make the whole thing, and oh-my-gosh.  That is crazy.  Using the same pattern (granted not the same material) - it took me from roughly 11am until 9pm to make the damn thing.  Granted I went for a lunch break, made pancakes, had a sit down, and ate dinner, oh and skyped my parents all in between.  So maybe if we take away the eating, drinking, sitdowns, and skypes I could have finished.

I spent Saturday late afternoon/evening taping together the pattern pieces from the PDF, and then cutting out the fabric and lining.

I didn't fully realize how DULL my rotary blade was getting until I was cutting my lining fabric and it was like I was slicing with a pizza slicer, rolling over and over and pressing really hard.  Once I changed my blade, it cut through like warm butter (but made me more wary of my precious fingers).



Ooh - look - my purchase from the expo - I seriously love it so much.  Now I can actually SEE the threads I own.

Although I absolutely L.O.V.E my fabric choices (for the finished product) what a pain in the butt this fabric was.

I am fairly certain I will be picking up fluff and threads for the rest of my life!


Look at all the fray!



While at the expo I did learn a new trick/learned how to use one of the feet that came with my machine.  It is SUCH a fancy little tool.  The two bars in the middle of the foot create the super neat effect I need to ensure there is no unraveling of the fabric.

I set up my machine to Zig-Zag, moved the needle right over, and then popped that fancy foot on.  It works almost like an overlocker, and it will stop my fabric from fraying where it was cut/sewn.  Every time I sewed a seam, I switched foots, and did a zig-zag down the same stitch. 


Once I had all my seams all sewn up, I moved my stitch length to 4, and actually top stitched all my seams flat to the fabric.  That way they all lay flat.  Because my thread matched my fabric to absolute perfection, you can't see where I stitched.  Granted, this perfect matching made it impossible to pick out a seam I accidentally sewed.   Ugh... my eyesight!



Anyway - there is my classic floor shot - I am SUPER duper loving this little jacket.  It works perfect with my black pencil skirt for work, and will look darn cute with a pair of jeans.  This is a win-win-win for me.

And here's my obligatory bathroom work shot.  One day - I will get a camera and tripod to get some nicer photos.  But for now...these will do.



xxx
Jenna

2 comments: